POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Rewards Server Time
6 Sep 2024 03:15:51 EDT (-0400)
  Rewards (Message 17 to 26 of 46)
From: Tim Cook
Subject: Re: Rewards
Date: 26 May 2009 16:07:01
Message: <4a1c4be5$1@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:
> Can't be a follow up. This is within a day from when it happened (where
> were you earlier? at work) whereas the guy in the first one already has
> the check in hand. So either check was by e-mail or he did the same
> stunt twice with GTE Visa or the order of the events is impossible.

Or they weren't reported/entered in the db in real-time.  Neither
specifies an exact date.

--
Tim Cook
http://empyrean.freesitespace.net

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 26 May 2009 16:07:27
Message: <4a1c4bff$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>>> There's some interesting psychology in there. I mean, like, "buy 1,
>>> get one free". Sounds great, right?
>>>
>>> So how about "buy 1, pay for 2 even though you only bought 1".
>>> Suddenly it doesn't sound so great, does it? :-P All they're really
>>> doing is doubling the marked price of the individual item.
>>
>> Uh..."buy 1, get 1 free" doesn't mean "buy 1, pay for 2".  it means
>> buy one, pay 1/2.  at least, that's how it works at the local grocery
>> store.
>
> I don't follow.

It means if it says "Buy one for $10, get one free", then you can buy one
for $5.

Altho I think that's more like "Two for $10" being "One for $5", now that I
think of it. I'm not sure "buy one get one free" always means you can get
one for half price.

>> Except that's not the same thing at all.  Things *cost more* in small
>> amounts.  When you buy in bulk, you can get a reduced price because
>> the cost of production *really is* less.
>
> Sure. But your local Tesco is going to buy (and transport) 12,000 tins
> of beans (or whatever) no matter what, so how many of them *you* buy is
> irrelevant.

Not true.

> And yet, if you buy 10 of them, they give you 10% off the
> price. (Or, more accurately, if you buy less than 10 they charge you
> extra.)

If you buy fewer (meaning more people buy the same number), they pay more
rent for storing them, they pay more in credit card transaction fees, they
pay more interest on the money used to buy them in the first place, etc.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)