POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : It's the Question that drives us Server Time
9 Oct 2024 07:16:42 EDT (-0400)
  It's the Question that drives us (Message 4 to 13 of 23)
<<< Previous 3 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: Mueen Nawaz
Subject: Re: It's the Question that drives us
Date: 19 May 2009 23:29:10
Message: <4a137906$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> And then she asks me:
>
>   ...Are there other people like you?

	We only come out at night.

--
Love is like Pi: Natural, irrational, and very important.

                    /\  /\               /\  /
                   /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z
                                   anl

Post a reply to this message

From: Slime
Date: 20 May 2009 01:51:57
Message: <4a139a7d$1@news.povray.org>
When talking to people that you want to find you interesting, keep it simple
so you don't scare them off. I suggest this:

>   You look like you're falling asleep there.
>
>   Uh? Oh, no, I'm just thinking.
>
>   What are you thinking about?
>
>   Math.
>
>   What??
>
>   (You won't be asked "what??" because everyone knows what math is.)
>
>   ...why?
>
>   Oh, it's this thing I'm working on. It uses fractals and stuff. It's
> pretty cool.

If they're interested, they'll ask more questions. If they're not, they
won't think you're crazy.

 - Slime
 [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]

Post a reply to this message

> When talking to people that you want to find you interesting, keep it simple
> so you don't scare them off.

Yeah, I guess. This particular individual, I don't especially care what
she thinks about me. Hence the rather vertical description. (But I think
she might have spotted the pile of papers as I attempted to derive a
Taylor series from first principles while waiting for Windows to install...)

>>   You look like you're falling asleep there.
>>
>>   Uh? Oh, no, I'm just thinking.
>>
>>   What are you thinking about?
>>
>>   Math.
>>
>>   What??
>>
>>   (You won't be asked "what??" because everyone knows what math is.)
>>
>>   ...why?
>>
>>   Oh, it's this thing I'm working on. It uses fractals and stuff. It's
>> pretty cool.

How many normal humans know what a "factal" is? Not many, IME.

> If they're interested, they'll ask more questions. If they're not, they
> won't think you're crazy.

It's just the way she looked at me like I was some sort of freak of
nature or something... *sigh*

Mind you, given who we're talking about here, that's kind of the pot
calling the kettle black. :-P

Post a reply to this message

> How many normal humans know what a "factal" is? Not many, IME.

Fractals are pretty pop.  They are mentioned in Hollywood flicks once in
a while, and I guess most people associate it with chaotic patterns or
something.

--
a game sig: http://tinyurl.com/d3rxz9

Post a reply to this message

>> How many normal humans know what a "factal" is? Not many, IME.
>
> Fractals are pretty pop.  They are mentioned in Hollywood flicks once in
> a while, and I guess most people associate it with chaotic patterns or
> something.

Oh God... "factal"? WTF?

My life mates me. :-(

Still... fractals are modestly well-known, but still not widely enough
that you can count on it.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

On Wed, 20 May 2009 19:10:02 +0100, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

> nemesis wrote:
>> Invisible escreveu:
>>> How many normal humans know what a "factal" is? Not many, IME.
>>
>> Fractals are pretty pop.  They are mentioned in Hollywood flicks once
>> in a while, and I guess most people associate it with chaotic patterns
>> or something.
>
> Oh God... "factal"? WTF?

Hey, now, you need to stop picking on Andy for his spelling mistakes...he
REALLY doesn't like that. ;-)

Jim

Post a reply to this message

> Hey, now, you need to stop picking on Andy for his spelling mistakes...he
> REALLY doesn't like that. ;-)

I wonder if a factal is something like a factoid? I think this might
class as one.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

On Wed, 20 May 2009 19:16:04 +0100, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

>>> Oh God... "factal"? WTF?
>>
>> Hey, now, you need to stop picking on Andy for his spelling
>> mistakes...he REALLY doesn't like that. ;-)
>
> I wonder if a factal is something like a factoid? I think this might
> class as one.

That could well be. :-)

Jim

Post a reply to this message

> On Wed, 20 May 2009 19:10:02 +0100, Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>
>> nemesis wrote:
>>> Fractals are pretty pop.  They are mentioned in Hollywood flicks once
>>> in a while, and I guess most people associate it with chaotic patterns
>>> or something.
>> Oh God... "factal"? WTF?
>
> Hey, now, you need to stop picking on Andy for his spelling mistakes...he
> REALLY doesn't like that. ;-)

You know I didn't even notice? :P

On Wed, 20 May 2009 15:49:54 -0300, nemesis wrote:

> Jim Henderson escreveu:

>>> Oh God... "factal"? WTF?
>>
>> Hey, now, you need to stop picking on Andy for his spelling
>> mistakes...he REALLY doesn't like that. ;-)
>
> You know I didn't even notice? :P

I did - but I didn't say anything.  My first thought was actually
something along the lines of what he said in response. ;-)

Jim

Post a reply to this message

<<< Previous 3 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>