POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Music. Piano Roll. Server Time
5 Sep 2024 17:12:15 EDT (-0400)
  Music. Piano Roll. (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Mike Raiford
Subject: Music. Piano Roll.
Date: 18 May 2009 09:48:12
Message: <4a11671c$1@news.povray.org>
I figure there's at least one person here who would appreciate this.

Step back, to approximately 1990....

I asked and begged and pleaded for an AdLib music card. I got it. It had
this weird editing format called "Piano Roll" I couldn't understand how
in the heck it related to a piano, and why they called a white screen
with black rectangles a roll.

Step forward to May of 2009....

I'm watching How It's Made, specifically the segment on how how player
piano rolls are made. Looking at the roll, it suddenly clicks. It looks
EXACTLY like the piano roll interface used in most music editing
applications. Literally, the representation had been around since player
pianos have been around. Epiphanies are so fun...

--
~Mike

Post a reply to this message