POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Music. Piano Roll. : Re: Music. Piano Roll. Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:26:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Music. Piano Roll.
From: Invisible
Date: 18 May 2009 11:26:39
Message: <4a117e2f$1@news.povray.org>
Mike Raiford wrote:

> I'm watching How It's Made, specifically the segment on how how player
> piano rolls are made. Looking at the roll, it suddenly clicks. It looks
> EXACTLY like the piano roll interface used in most music editing
> applications. Literally, the representation had been around since player
> pianos have been around. Epiphanies are so fun...

Hehe. Nice. ;-)

I once saw a fairground organ that was controlled by - well not a *roll*
exactly, but rather a series of metal sheets, hinged together like the
old tractor-feed paper. Each sheet had a series of holes punched in it.
Since an organ is a pnumatic instrument anyway, you just gotta line the
holes up with the pipes. Sounded pretty nice...