POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Watchmen vs The Incredibles Server Time
6 Sep 2024 03:15:09 EDT (-0400)
  Watchmen vs The Incredibles (Message 96 to 105 of 125)
From: Nicolas Alvarez
Subject: Re: Watchmen vs The Incredibles
Date: 17 May 2009 16:03:17
Message: <4a106d82@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:
> Darren New wrote:
>> nemesis wrote:
>>> I'm just saying there that "The incredibles" has a very similar plot
>>> to Watchmen
>>
>> No, you're saying Incredible was *inspired* by Watchmen, not just
>> similar.
>>
>> You would need to show that Brad Bird, for example, was aware of
>> Watchmen and knew the plot when he was making the Incredibles, as a
>> minimum.
>
> How could he not be aware of this classic?  You know Alan Moore was
> featured in a Simpsons episode?  You know Brad Bird was creative
> consultant to the Simpsons?  No, I don't know if the episode is from
> before or after he left, what I do know is:
>
> * a super-hero world where heroes are banned is by itself a very
> non-conventional plot for a super-hero story (at least until Watchmen
> got it done)
> * the plot is kicked off when an older hero goes missing (and is found
> to be dead)
> * the villain threatens the world with a fake attack so that he can be
> "heroic"
> * the threat is a huge, monocular monster with tentacles
> * the monster was raised in a remote Island
> * the dead hero was killed because of what the plans he uncovered in the
> Island
> * cape is bad for your health
>
> If that's not enough for a link, I'll eat my underwear...

Nobody cares how obvious it is. I believe you need to cite sources when you
say water is made of two hydrogen atoms and one oxygen atom.

Post a reply to this message

From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 17 May 2009 16:12:35
Message: <4a106fb2@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:
> Funnily enough, wikipedian moderators allowed the reference to Fantastic
> Four, despite no acknowledgment from Bird either.  This is what truly
> pissed me off about the whole thing.  One simply can't list the shared
> plot details between The Incredibles and Watchmen, either under
> criticism section or even in the talk page.

There is no sources for the Fantastic Four similarities either (in fact,
there is a [citation needed] tag), so I just removed it.

Post a reply to this message