POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Science Server Time
6 Sep 2024 01:26:43 EDT (-0400)
  Science (Message 7 to 16 of 26)
<<< Previous 6 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: Warp
Subject: Re: Science
Date: 15 May 2009 11:07:02
Message: <4a0d8515@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> >> Question: Does acetone disolve backup tape?
> >>
> >> Answer: Not very quickly.
> >
> >    No, the answer is 'Yes'.  :oP

> Question: Which one of us is currently soaking a backup tape in acetone?
> Which one of us, therefore, has the experimental data to backup their
> position?

  You didn't ask how long it takes for it to dissolve. You only asked if
it dissolves.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 15 May 2009 11:40:05
Message: <4a0d8cd5$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

>   You didn't ask how long it takes for it to dissolve. You only asked if
> it dissolves.

Yes, my mistake.

I implicitly meant "does it disolve faster than the polar icecaps?"

Post a reply to this message

From: St
Date: 15 May 2009 11:41:15
Message: <4a0d8d1b@news.povray.org>
> Warp wrote:
>
>>   You didn't ask how long it takes for it to dissolve. You only asked if
>> it dissolves.
>
> Yes, my mistake.
>
> I implicitly meant "does it disolve faster than the polar icecaps?"

     I doubt it... ;)

    ~Steve~

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 15 May 2009 11:44:01
Message: <4a0d8dc1$1@news.povray.org>
St. wrote:

>    Erm, no, but while you're doing this experiment, tell me what the backup
> tape is made of.

Wikipedia suggests it might be Mylar (i.e., polyethylene terephthalate).
I still don't know how to make it disolve though. So far we've tried:

- Acetone
- Hexane
- Butyle acetate

We don't have any other really cheap solvents in our lab...

Oh well, I guess I could try using mineral acid to disolve the iron
coating. :-S

Post a reply to this message

>>    Erm, no, but while you're doing this experiment, tell me what the
>> backup tape is made of.
>
> Wikipedia suggests it might be Mylar (i.e., polyethylene terephthalate). I
> still don't know how to make it disolve though. So far we've tried:
>
> - Acetone
> - Hexane
> - Butyle acetate
>
> We don't have any other really cheap solvents in our lab...
>
> Oh well, I guess I could try using mineral acid to disolve the iron
> coating. :-S

    Hmm, interesting that acetone isn't doing the job. I think what you
really need is Cellulose thinners.

       ~Steve~

Post a reply to this message

> I implicitly meant "does it disolve faster than the polar icecaps?"

That's a moving target.

Post a reply to this message