POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Completely random and silly questions Server Time
9 Oct 2024 08:26:56 EDT (-0400)
  Completely random and silly questions (Message 17 to 26 of 36)
From: Nicolas Alvarez
Subject: Re: Completely random and silly questions
Date: 12 May 2009 23:07:00
Message: <4a0a3953@news.povray.org>
Kevin Wampler wrote:
> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> Lethal doses of pure capsaicin that I've read about are about 47 mg per
>> kg of the victim.
>
> So we're talking like a half-teaspoon of capsaicin here?  That would
> indeed be a scary amount.
>
> Offhand, so you know what causes it to be toxic?  I was only aware of it
> binding to hear/pain receptors and I don't see how this would cause a
> problem except from the body's reaction to it.  Or perhaps it's just the
> case that at some level that reaction generally becomes fatal?

"The large amount needed to kill an adult human and the low concentration of
capsaicin in chilies make the risk of accidental poisoning by chili
consumption negligible." -- Wikipedia

Post a reply to this message

From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 12 May 2009 23:07:40
Message: <4a0a397c@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Tue, 12 May 2009 15:29:44 -0400, Warp wrote:
>
>> Since Andrew hasn't done this in a long while, I'll do it myself:
>>
>> 1) How many habanero chilis can an adult man eat without dying?
>
> 1 less than the lethal amount.
>
>> 2) What's the difference between New York and York? What's the
>> difference between New Jersey and Jersey?
>
> In both cases, one is newer than the other.
>
>> 3) What's wrong with couch potatoes?
>
> They're uncomfortable to sit on.
>
>> 4) Why is it called a "drive-through" even though you are supposed to
>> stop?
>
> You're supposed to stop?!
>
> Jim

Heh, two posts in a row in smartbutt mode today? ;)

Post a reply to this message

>> 1) How many habanero chilis can an adult man eat without dying?
>
> 1 less than the lethal amount.

WIN!

>> 4) Why is it called a "drive-through" even though you are supposed to
>> stop?
>
> You're supposed to stop?!

Is this why "drive-by killings" happen?

Post a reply to this message

> Offhand, so you know what causes it to be toxic?  I was only aware of it
> binding to hear/pain receptors and I don't see how this would cause a
> problem except from the body's reaction to it.  Or perhaps it's just the
> case that at some level that reaction generally becomes fatal?

What, a neurotoxin isn't leathal? ;-)

Wikipedia claims that severe exposure can cause things such as breathing
difficulty. It's not hard to imagine how if you get too much of this
stuff into you, your airways could become so inflamed that you cannot
actually breathe. This is probably fatal.

Post a reply to this message