POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Another Vista stupidity Server Time
6 Sep 2024 03:18:09 EDT (-0400)
  Another Vista stupidity (Message 21 to 30 of 42)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Another Vista stupidity
Date: 15 May 2009 12:25:08
Message: <4a0d9764$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   "How do I do that?" Right, he was in Windows, and there's no diff in
> Windows. We pondered for a moment what would be the easiest solution.

Download diff for Windows? :-)

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=diff+win32

> He was using notepad++ as his text editor and we wondered if there would
> be some way of comparing two files in it. With the million of menus in the
> program, it was probably not worth the trouble.

It works with vim, tho. :-)

>   Sometimes things just *are* way easier in unix. Sure, there are tools
> for Windows to do the same thing, but the problem is that Windows never
> has *any* tools by default, and it would always require quite a lot of
> work to get the tools. In unix the tools just are there, period. No need
> to think nor hassle around.

No more hassle than starting up yast to download them, methinks.
Occasionally you'll have to figure out if it's a "real" port or a cygwin
port, but i've found the "win32" modifier almost always points you at a
native port without a bunch of dependencies.

But sure, unix has more command-line tools for Windows by default. :-)
Windows isn't primarily targeted at developers, so developers have to
install some tools they need.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)