POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Another Vista stupidity : Re: Another Vista stupidity Server Time
6 Sep 2024 05:17:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another Vista stupidity
From: Warp
Date: 15 May 2009 12:32:14
Message: <4a0d990e@news.povray.org>
> Warp wrote:
> >   "How do I do that?" Right, he was in Windows, and there's no diff in
> > Windows. We pondered for a moment what would be the easiest solution.

> Download diff for Windows? :-)

  That's precisely the problem I was talking about. *Nothing* comes with
Windows by default, and for everything you would have to search and download
some third-party, non-standard utility which might or might not do what you
want.

  (Additionally, Windows' command prompt just isn't as easy to use as
unix's. It's just a PitA to try to do anything in it.)

> > He was using notepad++ as his text editor and we wondered if there would
> > be some way of comparing two files in it. With the million of menus in the
> > program, it was probably not worth the trouble.

> It works with vim, tho. :-)

  Yeah, rather than take 2 seconds to diff the files in the mac computer,
he would have to spend at least 2 hours to find out how to do the same
thing in vim (and this after he had found and installed the program).

> >   Sometimes things just *are* way easier in unix. Sure, there are tools
> > for Windows to do the same thing, but the problem is that Windows never
> > has *any* tools by default, and it would always require quite a lot of
> > work to get the tools. In unix the tools just are there, period. No need
> > to think nor hassle around.

> No more hassle than starting up yast to download them, methinks.

  I'm talking about a real, actual, concrete experience here, not some
theoretical "methinks" thing. Diffing the files on the mac was just way,
way less hassle than *anything* else.

--
                                                          - Warp