POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : on mail addresses Server Time
5 Sep 2024 11:22:02 EDT (-0400)
  on mail addresses (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Daniel Bastos
Subject: on mail addresses
Date: 10 Aug 2009 11:06:32
Message: <4a803778@news.povray.org>
So I signed up for a mail list. But google refuses to send the email
that I must send to confirm the subscription. So I thought I should
bypass this tyranical system by using my super UNIX mail program
friend. But it sucked.

%printf 'From: dbastos@toledo.com\n' | mail -s stuff
'alerts-sc.1249915277.ohnfgbjcamanmikdjlib-dbastos=toledo.com@lists.nader.org'
Cannot parse address `alerts-sc.1249915277.ohnfgbjcamanmikdjlib-dbastos' (while
expanding `alerts-sc.1249915277.ohnfgbjcamanmikdjlib-dbastos'): Format of RFC822
object is bad
%

What's wrong exactly? This address is claimed valid by qmail/ezmlm.

Post a reply to this message

On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 11:06:32 -0400, Daniel Bastos wrote:

> So I signed up for a mail list. But google refuses to send the email
> that I must send to confirm the subscription.

Maybe ask the list maintainer if they've seen this before.

Post a reply to this message

On 10-8-2009 17:30, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 11:06:32 -0400, Daniel Bastos wrote:
>
>> So I signed up for a mail list. But google refuses to send the email
>> that I must send to confirm the subscription.
>
> Maybe ask the list maintainer if they've seen this before.

quite likely with such a common address.

Post a reply to this message

On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 17:58:12 +0200, andrel wrote:

> On 10-8-2009 17:30, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 11:06:32 -0400, Daniel Bastos wrote:
>>
>>> So I signed up for a mail list. But google refuses to send the email
>>> that I must send to confirm the subscription.
>>
>> Maybe ask the list maintainer if they've seen this before.
>
> quite likely with such a common address.

Yeah, and Google's mail handling for mailing lists is reportedly somewhat
weird anyways, though usually what I hear is it's more to do with copies
of your posts not coming back (regardless of the setting at the list
server).

Jim

Post a reply to this message

> So I signed up for a mail list. But google refuses to send the email
> that I must send to confirm the subscription. So I thought I should
> bypass this tyranical system by using my super UNIX mail program
> friend. But it sucked.
>
> %printf 'From: dbastos@toledo.com\n' | mail -s stuff
'alerts-sc.1249915277.ohnfgbjcamanmikdjlib-dbastos=toledo.com@lists.nader.org'
> Cannot parse address `alerts-sc.1249915277.ohnfgbjcamanmikdjlib-dbastos' (while
expanding `alerts-sc.1249915277.ohnfgbjcamanmikdjlib-dbastos'): Format of RFC822
object is bad
> %
>

> What's wrong exactly? This address is claimed valid by qmail/ezmlm.

The "=" sign is part of MIME that lets you use foreign character sets in
email addresses. It basically allows you to q-p or base64 encode the address.

If you really need to get around it, look up the appropriate RFCs and encode
the whole thing as a quoted-printable email address using =3D in place of
the = sign.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIME#Encoded-Word

Try the address
=?iso-8859-1?Q?alerts-sc.1249915277.ohnfgbjcamanmikdjlib-dbastos=3Dtoledo.com@lists.nader.org?=