POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : 13 scientific questions without an answer so far Server Time
6 Sep 2024 01:25:47 EDT (-0400)
  13 scientific questions without an answer so far (Message 18 to 27 of 27)
From: nemesis
Subject: Re: 13 scientific questions without an answer so far
Date: 29 Apr 2009 02:18:10
Message: <49f7f122$1@news.povray.org>

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg18524911.600-13-things-that-do-not-make-sense.html

>   Btw, there's a very common misconception about the Theory of Relativity,
> even among people who should know better.
>
>   The ToR does *not* prohibit the distance between two points growing
> faster than c. On the contrary, it actually *predicts* (as a consequence
> of the GR equations) that it's possible.
>
>   What it does prohibit is anything *travelling* from one point to another
> faster than c, which is a subtly (but drastically) different thing.

It doesn't matter as long as it doesn't prohibit the distance between
two points *shrinking* faster than c. ;)

Warp Drive, her we go! :D

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 29 Apr 2009 11:16:14
Message: <49f86f3e$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   (I suppose "dilluting makes the effect reverse" makes some kind of
> sense... if you have the IQ of a 2-year-old, that is. I suppose the logic
> might go something like: When you take the harmful element away by
> dilluting, likewise the harmful *effect* goes away, and it takes away
> the harmful effect in anything that it touches.)

No, it's supposedly more like the vaccine mechanism. By taking the ghost of
the poison, your body overreacts and cures whatever has the same symptoms as
the poison.

I only had it work once, and that's after all the other poison-ivy remedies
failed to remedy. Not that I attribute it to the homeopathy, but I had
little to lose but the $5 for the sugar pills. :-)

What I want to know is why people don't dilute placebos, then poison people
with it. The perfect murder weapon!

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)