POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Obsolete technology Server Time
9 Oct 2024 09:19:29 EDT (-0400)
  Obsolete technology (Message 29 to 38 of 48)
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: Obsolete technology
Date: 28 Apr 2009 09:05:22
Message: <49f6ff12@news.povray.org>
>>> Mount it with a loop device.
>>
>> Random, but... why the hell do you need a loopback "device" in the
>> first place? Why can't you just mount (say) an ISO image directly?
>> Requiring a loopback device means that
>>
>> 1. there are only a finite number of them available,
>
> Have a look at this document:
>   http://www.slax.org/documentation_loop_mount.php
>
> Here's how I understand the situation:
>
> Linux kernels earlier than v. 2.6.23 had 8 loop devices, unless you
> specified more
> Linux kernel v. 2.6.23 had 256 loop devices
> Linux kernel v. 2.6.24 and later does not have these limitations

The device files still have to exist in the filesystem though. (That's a
fairly bizare concept in itself...)

>> 2. before you can mount anything loopback, you have to determine which
>> device numbers (if any) are free.
>
> Just try this:
>
>   mount -o loop,offset=somenumberofbytes ~/sda.img /mnt/sda1
>
>  From the mount manual:

> is given), then mount will try to find some unused loop device and use
> that."

So somebody wrote the code to automatically select a free device. The
fact is, you still need there to be a free device. I still don't get why
you can't just mount the file itself...

Post a reply to this message

>>> Random, but... why the hell do you need a loopback "device" in the
>>> first place? Why can't you just mount (say) an ISO image directly?
>>> Requiring a loopback device means that
>>>
>>> 1. there are only a finite number of them available,
>>
>> Have a look at this document:
>>   http://www.slax.org/documentation_loop_mount.php
>>
>> Here's how I understand the situation:
>>
>> Linux kernels earlier than v. 2.6.23 had 8 loop devices, unless you
>> specified more
>> Linux kernel v. 2.6.23 had 256 loop devices
>> Linux kernel v. 2.6.24 and later does not have these limitations
>
> The device files still have to exist in the filesystem though. (That's a
> fairly bizare concept in itself...)
>
>>> 2. before you can mount anything loopback, you have to determine
>>> which device numbers (if any) are free.
>>
>> Just try this:
>>
>>   mount -o loop,offset=somenumberofbytes ~/sda.img /mnt/sda1
>>
>>  From the mount manual:

>> and use that."
>
> So somebody wrote the code to automatically select a free device. The
> fact is, you still need there to be a free device.

If your kernel is of a newer version there will always be a free loop device,
I.e. you don't have to worry about that.

> fact is, you still need there to be a free device. I still don't get why
> you can't just mount the file itself...

Because the file is not a block device.

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loop_device

--