POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Obsolete technology : Re: Obsolete technology Server Time
6 Sep 2024 07:18:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Obsolete technology
From: Invisible
Date: 28 Apr 2009 10:21:09
Message: <49f710d5$1@news.povray.org>
>> I still don't get why you can't just mount the file itself...
>
> Because the file is not a block device.

I thought the whole idea of the "device file" abstraction is that
accessing an entire device is no different from accessing a regular
file. And, if that's the case, you'd expect storing a filesystem inside
a file to be no different than storing a filesystem on a device.

And yet, it *is* different - one automatically works, the other requires
you to jump through hoops. Or, loops, in this case...