POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Obsolete technology Server Time
6 Sep 2024 03:12:57 EDT (-0400)
  Obsolete technology (Message 21 to 30 of 48)
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: Re: Obsolete technology
Date: 27 Apr 2009 16:29:53
Message: <49f615c1$1@news.povray.org>

>>>   If the program breaks, they have someone to call to. No such luck with
>>> free software.
>>
>> So you are saying that their chances of having the problem fixed in
>> time is better if they have paid money for the program ?
>
> Sure.  If Norton Ghost dies they can spend hours on the phone or in
> email exchanges to both act all bossy customer and demand a new copy or
> a fix, rather than spending a few minutes getting Knoppix to boot and
> then typing those 4 lines.

In fairness, Ghost does much, much more than dd does. In particular,
Ghost comprehends NTFS, so you can do things like restore to a partition
of a different size, backup only the "used" sectors, etc. It also has
the ability to backup and restore over the network using compression and
so forth. And you can browse and modify the backup image on the server
without having to restore it first. And...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/