POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : High rez versus high refresh... Server Time
6 Sep 2024 07:18:46 EDT (-0400)
  High rez versus high refresh... (Message 41 to 50 of 82)
From: Mike Raiford
Subject: Re: High rez versus high refresh...
Date: 24 Apr 2009 11:06:28
Message: <49f1d574$1@news.povray.org>
Chambers wrote:

> http://mandmonlineshopping.com/images/jensen-j56-bwr.jpg

Awww, how cute.

--
~Mike

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 24 Apr 2009 11:23:08
Message: <49f1d95c$1@news.povray.org>
Chambers wrote:
> On 4/24/2009 3:33 AM, Invisible wrote:
>> And brightness. (Although this tends to be more of a problem with small,
>> portable displays. And since it's impossible to make a small, portable
>> CRT display *at all*, I guess we can live with that.)
>
> http://mandmonlineshopping.com/images/jensen-j56-bwr.jpg

The screen on my mobile phone is less than an inch square. I'm fairly
sure they don't make CRTs that small.

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 24 Apr 2009 12:37:17
Message: <49f1eabd@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 09:10:15 +0100, Invisible wrote:

>>> Really? I hadn't noticed that one.
>>
>> It was my understanding that most TVs in the UK these days are
>> widescreen anyways; if that's the case, it's not surprising you
>> wouldn't notice the difference. :-)
>
> Most *new* TVs are widescreen. (Indeed, it is apparently impossible to
> buy one that isn't.) Which is most perplexing, because there are no TV
> signals broadcast in widescreen, so owning a widescreen TV instantly
> means that everything you watch must either be distorted or have black
> bars down the sides. Um... and this is a "good" thing because...??

HDTV broadcasts (ATSC here in the US and Hi-Definition cable channels)
are all in widescreen.  I seem to remember when visiting the UK a few
years ago that the broadcast signals we watched there also tended to be
in widescreen.  In fact, it seemed more popular than 4:3 broadcasts from
what I saw.

>>> Is there a reason why movies are filmed this way?
>>
>> http://www.widescreen.org/aspect_ratios.shtml seems to have some
>> relevant information.
>
> Only really says what aspect ratios were used and how it was done - not
> why these ratios existed in the first place.

Check out the other pages on the site...

Jim

Post a reply to this message