POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : High rez versus high refresh... : Re: High rez versus high refresh... Server Time
6 Sep 2024 09:20:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: High rez versus high refresh...
From: Warp
Date: 24 Apr 2009 12:56:35
Message: <49f1ef43@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> The screen on my mobile phone is less than an inch square. I'm fairly
> sure they don't make CRTs that small.

  I remember reading/hearing about a proposed new CRT technology where
the idea was that instead of having just one cathode ray for the entire
screen (ok, three rays, one for each color component), you would have
one ray (well, three rays) per pixel.

  The advantage of this is that the cathode ray emitters can be made very
small and simple (as they don't require the controlling magnets) and they
can be brought very close to the screen. Thus you basically get a very
thin and relatively lightweigth screen with all the advantages of CRT.

  (Of course you also get some of the disadvantages of LCD, eg. the fixed
resolution.)

--
                                                          - Warp