POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Weekly calibration Server Time
6 Sep 2024 11:20:15 EDT (-0400)
  Weekly calibration (Message 57 to 66 of 106)
From: Warp
Subject: Re: Weekly calibration
Date: 21 Apr 2009 08:09:12
Message: <49edb768@news.povray.org>
scott <sco### [at] scottcom> wrote:
> >> Now simply replace "head being tossed" with "this sequence of characters
> >> being the works".
> >
> >  You talk as if I had said somewhere that in the infinite case the
> > probability does *not* equal 1. I don't remember saying such a thing.

> You said:

> > That's, in fact, the exact same thing as saying "never".

> Never is a probability of exactly 0, yet you've just agreed that the
> probability is actually exactly 1.  Make your mind up :-)

  Great out of context quote.

  The "never" was not referring to "will it appear?". It referred to
"is it *forced* to appear"?

  No, at no point is it forced to appear. Thus it's *never* forced to
appear. That's not the same thing as "it will never appear".

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>  The "never" was not referring to "will it appear?". It referred to
> "is it *forced* to appear"?

If the probability is exactly 1, which you agree it is, then of course it is
forced to appear at some point in the sequence.  If it wasn't then the
probability would be less than 1.

Or are you going to argue now about the meaning of "forced"? ;-)

Post a reply to this message

> >  The "never" was not referring to "will it appear?". It referred to
> > "is it *forced* to appear"?

> If the probability is exactly 1, which you agree it is, then of course it is
> forced to appear at some point in the sequence.  If it wasn't then the
> probability would be less than 1.

  And if the probability of getting 0.5 is zero, then of course it means
that it will never be chosen.

  Explain to me the exact mechanics which force the works to appear.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message