POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Weekly calibration : Re: Weekly calibration Server Time
6 Sep 2024 13:20:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Weekly calibration
From: scott
Date: 21 Apr 2009 08:40:51
Message: <49edbed3$1@news.povray.org>
>> If the probability is exactly 1, which you agree it is, then of course it
>> is
>> forced to appear at some point in the sequence.  If it wasn't then the
>> probability would be less than 1.
>
>  And if the probability of getting 0.5 is zero, then of course it means
> that it will never be chosen.

Of course.

But the probability of 0.5 turning up is not zero, it is 1/infinity.
Sometimes they can be used interchangably, but in this situation they
cannot.  You won't find a mathematician that claims 1/infinity universally
is equal to zero under all circumstances in normal number systems.

On the other hand, writing an infinite sum like 1/2+1/4+1/8+.. does
*exactly* equal one, always, never with any doubt, it is universally
accepted in mathematics.

>  Explain to me the exact mechanics which force the works to appear.

Calculate the probability, you will find it is equal to one.  Exactly one.
That, by definition, means it is guaranteed, or "forced" if you like, to
happen.  QED.