POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Weekly calibration Server Time
6 Sep 2024 15:20:19 EDT (-0400)
  Weekly calibration (Message 37 to 46 of 106)
From: Kenneth
Subject: Re: Weekly calibration
Date: 21 Apr 2009 01:35:00
Message: <web.49ed5a9db9c54b93f50167bc0@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/3013959.stm

getting grant money seems to be easier than I thought!

KW

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 21 Apr 2009 02:03:30
Message: <49ed61b2@news.povray.org>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/3013959.stm
>
> WTF-O-Meter: 2.8

Hehe, I guess for some people it doesn't take much to "learn an awful lot"
:-)

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 21 Apr 2009 02:13:12
Message: <49ed63f8@news.povray.org>
>  A true evenly-distributed random number generator and an infinite amount
> of time is a lot, lot closer to fulfilling the claim, and the probability
> of the works coming up is unlimitedly high, but there's still no absolute
> guarantee.
>
>  (Many people think that in this last case the works *will* eventually
> appear with absolute certainty, but that's just the gambler's fallacy.)

Isn't it mathematical fact that the probability of the works not appearing
is zero in the limit condition?

Like if you ask what is the probability of getting no heads when a coin is
tossed N times, it is 2^-N, which is *equal* to zero in the limit as N tends
to infinity.  That's what I was taught at school/university anyway.

Post a reply to this message