POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Weekly calibration : Re: Weekly calibration Server Time
6 Sep 2024 09:17:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Weekly calibration
From: scott
Date: 21 Apr 2009 02:13:12
Message: <49ed63f8@news.povray.org>
>  A true evenly-distributed random number generator and an infinite amount
> of time is a lot, lot closer to fulfilling the claim, and the probability
> of the works coming up is unlimitedly high, but there's still no absolute
> guarantee.
>
>  (Many people think that in this last case the works *will* eventually
> appear with absolute certainty, but that's just the gambler's fallacy.)

Isn't it mathematical fact that the probability of the works not appearing
is zero in the limit condition?

Like if you ask what is the probability of getting no heads when a coin is
tossed N times, it is 2^-N, which is *equal* to zero in the limit as N tends
to infinity.  That's what I was taught at school/university anyway.