POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Nice doesn't work for me Server Time
6 Sep 2024 01:23:31 EDT (-0400)
  Nice doesn't work for me (Message 1 to 10 of 17)
From: Shay
Subject: Nice doesn't work for me
Date: 17 Apr 2009 00:21:25
Message: <49e803c5$1@news.povray.org>
I've got a problem. I'm only at my best when I'm hateful.

I just got back from a concert my wife and I sponsored to promote her
candle company (more of a hobby so far). I got to the door with free
incense samples I intended to pass out, and the door guy doesn't want to
let me in with them. I repeatedly showed him the name of the company on
the ticket - right under where it said "presented by" - and showed him
that the name matched the name on the business cards attached to the
incense, but he only repeated, "That's just a ticket. Everyone's got
one." No shit, you moron. Did everyone pay a thousand bucks to "present"
the show?

Finally got through the door with the samples and relaxed a bit. This
was a chance for me to not only let people smell the product and get
names for the mailing list, but to make an impression for the company. I
did my best to "work the room," only half-faking my cheerful attitude. I
did all right, but people were a bit cool to me. Some didn't even want
the free samples and several did not want to sign the mailing list.

I had to stop after passing out half of the samples because the first
band started. The band sucked (a string quartet dressed as mermaids and
pirates - no shit), the crowd sucked (meaning I'm probably out a good
portion of my $1k investment), and my mood began to sour. I started to
get more and more upset about the idiot at the door and couldn't wait to
pass out the rest of the samples and get the Hell out of there.

After the band had stopped, I went around the room again. This time my
cheerful attitude was ENTIRELY faked. At one point, seeing no new faces,
I reported to my wife that I had "sucked every d*** in the room." This
fake me was better, however. People were very receptive and asking
questions, and even large groups were taking the time to pass the list
around so that every person could "sign" it. One of the girls with whom
I spoke (and she was a serious sex-bomb) came behind me a few minutes
later, said she wanted to tip me, and stuffed a five dollar bill into my
back pocket - I swear it's true. My wife didn't like it, but denied
being jealous when her friends teased her about it.

So, once again, the nice, happy me loses out to the aggravated me. It
happens every time. I HATED waiting tables, but I made better tips than
anyone in the restaurant. I really believed in products I sold
door-to-door, but failed at selling them. I never thrive in environments
where I'm happy, but I can cajole and/or intimidate people I despise
into doing just about anything.

  -Shay

Post a reply to this message