POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Emacs Server Time
28 Sep 2024 20:18:31 EDT (-0400)
  Emacs (Message 51 to 60 of 349)
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: Emacs
Date: 15 Apr 2009 05:11:43
Message: <49e5a4cf@news.povray.org>
>> What is it, exactly, that makes Emacs so fantastic? What does it
>> actually *do* beyond being a text editor?
>
> Lots. But its household name is historical, goes back to the dark ages of
> computing. There are dozens of quite decent free text editors nowadays.

OK, I can kind of see that. Way back in the dark ages, when text files
were generated by having a professional typist type it onto punch cards,
where people operated computers using monochrome dumb terminals
connected to a mainframe, and where the only way to operate on a text
file was edlin, I can imagine Emacs causing a stir. Everybody uses edlin
to painfully crawl through a file one line at a time, and then suddenly
this thing comes along with realtime interactive full-screen text
editing, scrolling and multiple windows in its text-based UI,
sophsticated facilities such as find and replace that previously
required complicated shell scripting, and all completely customisable
using a high-end interpretted scripting language called Lisp. It must
have seemed so futuristic back then.

It just seems to me that now almost everything Emacs does can also be
done by half a dozen other tools - most of which don't require you to
memorise long sequences of keyboard acrobatics to do things. So while I
get that Emacs seemed amazing 30 years ago, why do people still use it
today?

Post a reply to this message