POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Emacs Server Time
30 Sep 2024 04:16:40 EDT (-0400)
  Emacs (Message 211 to 220 of 349)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Emacs
Date: 18 Apr 2009 13:18:53
Message: <49ea0b7d@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 06:18:09 -0400, Warp wrote:

> He (as well as Darren) deliberately chose to ignore what I was saying

*plonk*

Have fun.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 18 Apr 2009 13:22:22
Message: <49ea0c4e$1@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 13:19:35 -0300, nemesis wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 03:23:46 -0300, nemesis wrote:
>>> You know what is not intuitive either?  A Boeing user interface.  Yet,
>>> it'll get you farther and faster than your intuitive bicycle. :)
>>
>> True, but sometimes a bicycle is all you need, you don't need a 747 to
>> take you to the corner market. ;-)
>
> Yeah, it was a poor analogy because it's not two ways:  once learned the
> basics, vi is excellent as a bike as well!  Just ask any *nix sysadmin.
> :)

Yes indeed. :-)

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 18 Apr 2009 13:31:24
Message: <49ea0e6c$1@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:
> 20-years vi hacker comes in touch with notepad for the first time:
> iWhat the crap is this thing?

Heh. I can't tell you the number of .signature files and mail messages I've
gotten over the years that end with :wq

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

From: Warp
Date: 18 Apr 2009 13:42:28
Message: <49ea1104@news.povray.org>
> It's because I have a different perspective.  Quite frankly if you're
> going to continue to insult and presume to tell me what I mean when I
> write, then I shall just plonk you into my twit filter and be done with
> you.

  You are not going to see this (unless someone quotes me), but I'm going
to write it anyways:

  I wrote that vi is harder to approach than other more "regular" text
editors because it doesn't work like those other editors. With other text
editors you start the program and just start editing. In other words, you
eg. press the 'a' key, and the letter 'a' appears at the cursor position.
You press the down cursor key, and the caret goes to the next line, and
so on.

  I think I expressed that, but you still chose to deliberately nitpick
about what "start editing the file right away" means. I think it was pretty
clear from what I wrote and from the context that I meant that you don't
have to press any "commands" or anything to start editing the file. You
just edit it right away. I was contrasting vi with basically any other
text editor. I was expressing why I find vi so hard to approach.

  This is not a question of persective. This a question of whether you
understood what I wrote or not.

  Then you acted all so mighty and deeply insulted when I dared to hint
that you had deliberately started nitpicking on terminology, rather than
understanding what I wrote.

  So if you did not deliberately nitpick, then what is the other possible
alternative? The only other alternative was that you did not understand
what I wrote. I can't believe you would be so stupid as to not to understand
such a simple thing, which is why I chose to believe that you were just
deliberately nitpicking.

  But since you insist in that you were not doing it deliberately, then
fine by me. It means you are stupid. And arrogant as well.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message