POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : C++ classes and file i/o Server Time
6 Sep 2024 01:27:35 EDT (-0400)
  C++ classes and file i/o (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: stbenge
Subject: C++ classes and file i/o
Date: 13 Apr 2009 19:04:08
Message: <49e3c4e8@news.povray.org>
Hi,

I've got a C++ question, and if somebody here can answer it then I'd be
happy :) It's probably something super simple, but all my Google
searches have led to nothing. I'm just now getting into using classes
and have had success until this point.

I have some code which I use to read a binary file into an array. It
works flawlessly when I implement it in a non-OO manner using an ugly
mess of functions and global variables in my main source file. The
problem comes when I try to do the same thing using classes. Here is my

void Field::load(int worldX, int worldY, string fileName){
  int tempFx, tempFy;
  int val;
  FILE *fieldFile;
  string fieldFileName;
  fieldFileName=assignName(fileName,worldX, worldY);
  if(fieldFile = fopen(fieldFileName.c_str(), "rb")){
   fread(&tempFx, 2, 1, fieldFile);
   fread(&tempFy, 2, 1, fieldFile);
   for(int y=0;y<fieldHeight;y++){
    for(int x=0;x<fieldWidth;x++){
     fread(&val, 2, 1, fieldFile);
     map[x][y]=val;
    }
   }
   fclose(fieldFile);
  }
  else
  for(int y=0;y<fieldHeight;y++){
   for(int x=0;x<fieldWidth;x++){
    map[x][y]=0;
   }
  }
}

It opens the files just fine, but when it reads values from them into an
array it returns nonsense. For instance Field.map[0][0] is supposed to
be 255, but what I get instead is 41746432.

I have tried using ifstreams instead, but I still get the same large
values even after making sure the file was read from the beginning. I
have also tried making "map" a new int (and deleting it in the
destructor), but I get the same large values.

It doesn't make sense to me why this code won't work inside a class, but
will work just fine elsewhere. Any help would be appreciated. I'm really
stumped :(

Sam

Post a reply to this message