POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : APIs first? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 07:17:59 EDT (-0400)
  APIs first? (Message 21 to 28 of 28)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: APIs first?
Date: 2 Apr 2009 11:45:59
Message: <49d4ddb7$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Uhuh. And how many PhDs work for Google?

Lots. So? It's not hard to make a web crawler, as long as you're not trying
to understand data that *isn't* presented in HTML tags. How hard is it to
find all the URLs in a HTML document?

>> But it's hard to get specific information out in an automated way.
>> That's why people invented HTTP-based APIs like SOAP.
>
> Why would you base a protocol on HTTP?

Because it's easy and the standards are there to say how to look things up
and encode the bytes and do the logging in and encryption and things like
that. If you have a request/response model, it's not a bad protocol. If you
have something more complex than a request/response model, you should be
using something like BEEP.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)