POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Laptop prices Server Time
6 Sep 2024 13:16:21 EDT (-0400)
  Laptop prices (Message 8 to 17 of 57)
<<< Previous 7 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: scott
Subject: Re: Laptop prices
Date: 1 Apr 2009 02:48:26
Message: <49d30e3a$1@news.povray.org>
>>   I remember the times whem ~2000 euros (~1850 pounds) was a rather
>> normal
>> price for a desktop computer, and those were (are) much cheaper than
>> laptops.

The first PC I got (as in could run DOS/Windows rather than some other OS)
was in 1997 and it cost 1200 pounds.  IIRC it was a 166 MHz with 16Mb of
RAM.  Before that I had an Acorn machine in around 1992 that was vastly
cheaper (I think like 300 for the computer and 300 for the monitor).

> But then, I also remember crazy stuff like laptops with blue/purple LCD
> displays that rippled when you touch them. ;-)

All my screens still ripple when you touch them :-)

Post a reply to this message

I think you need to live somewhere tech costs a bit less.  I've actually
got a spare room, if you're interested ;)

--
...Chambers
www.pacificwebguy.com

Post a reply to this message

> I think you need to live somewhere tech costs a bit less.

What, like *China*? :-P

> I've actually got a spare room, if you're interested ;)

Er... I think I'll pass. ;-)

Post a reply to this message

> I think you need to live somewhere tech costs a bit less.

How can you get any cheaper than living with your mum? ;-)

Post a reply to this message

>> I think you need to live somewhere tech costs a bit less.
>
> How can you get any cheaper than living with your mum? ;-)

Life insurance?

Post a reply to this message

> The first PC I got (as in could run DOS/Windows rather than some other
> OS) was in 1997 and it cost 1200 pounds.

I remember shopping for a PC, asking the price, laughing in the salesman's
face when he said it didn't count screen, video card, keyboard, or floppy
drive. It was significantly higher than a maxed-out Amiga of the time.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

>> The first PC I got (as in could run DOS/Windows rather than some other
>> OS) was in 1997 and it cost 1200 pounds.
>
> I remember shopping for a PC, asking the price, laughing in the
> salesman's face when he said it didn't count screen, video card,
> keyboard, or floppy drive. It was significantly higher than a maxed-out
> Amiga of the time.

Dude, don't underestimate what you can do with a maxed-out Amiga...

(OK, maybe today it's not that impressive. But back then?)

I'm sure I *must* have told you guys about the salesman who told my mum
to "get that one" because "this PC is good, yeah, but *that* one has the
new 8.2 hyperdrive!"

Post a reply to this message