POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Very silly Server Time
6 Sep 2024 05:17:55 EDT (-0400)
  Very silly (Message 11 to 20 of 31)
From: Eero Ahonen
Subject: Re: Very silly
Date: 28 Mar 2009 07:02:53
Message: <49ce03dd@news.povray.org>
moppel wrote:
> Linux... Been there, done that. I used to be such a Linux freak. Until I got a
> job. Time became precious, and I didn't feel like configuring my system and
> reading Howtos for days and weeks just to get things running. Linux is nice for
> building servers for free, but as a desktop system, it sucked penguin balls. And
> I'm pretty sure it'll be like that forever.
> Cheers,
> Burkhard

That's pretty much the same reason I don't run Windows at home :).

-Aero

Post a reply to this message

From: Eero Ahonen
Date: 28 Mar 2009 07:10:05
Message: <49ce058d$1@news.povray.org>
moppel wrote:

> You're right, that's a couple of years ago. It was even before Ubuntu. However,
> I'm actually happy with Vista. Never had trouble with it.

Then I really think you should stick with Vista. It's not that some
system would be perfection and above all others, but they fit to
different uses and different users.

> The one thing I still
> miss is Linux' shell scripting capabilities.

http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/
http://cygwin.com/

IMO 2 must-haves on Windows-box, at least makes my work a lot easier.

> Cheers,
> Burkhard

-Aero

Post a reply to this message

> miss is Linux' shell scripting capabilities.

Windows scripting host.
Or PowerShell, which just hit Windows Update last week. I hear good things
about it.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)