POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : USSR Server Time
6 Sep 2024 05:15:19 EDT (-0400)
  USSR (Message 22 to 31 of 31)
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: USSR
Date: 30 Mar 2009 11:06:29
Message: <49d0dff5$1@news.povray.org>
>> Out of curiosity... what exactly is it that I wrote which impressed you
>> guys so much?
>
> For me it was the post you wrote about the mountains.

What, they're really big?

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 30 Mar 2009 11:20:14
Message: <49d0e32e$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 30 Mar 2009 16:06:28 +0100, Invisible wrote:

>>> Out of curiosity... what exactly is it that I wrote which impressed
>>> you guys so much?
>>
>> For me it was the post you wrote about the mountains.
>
> What, they're really big?

The entire post, not just that bit.

Do I need to quote it to you?  You wrote it, it was a very nice piece of
writing.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 30 Mar 2009 11:31:53
Message: <49d0e5e9$1@news.povray.org>
>>> For me it was the post you wrote about the mountains.
>> What, they're really big?
>
> The entire post, not just that bit.
>
> Do I need to quote it to you?  You wrote it, it was a very nice piece of
> writing.

It just puzzles me that what I wrote was apparently fairly lame, as far
as I can tell, and yet several people seemed to really like it.

Post a reply to this message

> It just puzzles me that what I wrote was apparently fairly lame, as far
> as I can tell, and yet several people seemed to really like it.

You don't know your own strength. That's what we're telling you.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

On Mon, 30 Mar 2009 16:31:52 +0100, Invisible wrote:

>>> What, they're really big?
>>
>> The entire post, not just that bit.
>>
>> Do I need to quote it to you?  You wrote it, it was a very nice piece
>> of writing.
>
> It just puzzles me that what I wrote was apparently fairly lame, as far
> as I can tell, and yet several people seemed to really like it.

What Darren said.  It's an exceptionally good piece of writing.  Does a
very good job of helping the reader visualize where you were.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

>> It just puzzles me that what I wrote was apparently fairly lame, as far
>> as I can tell, and yet several people seemed to really like it.
>
> What Darren said.  It's an exceptionally good piece of writing.  Does a
> very good job of helping the reader visualize where you were.

Heh. Can you find me on Google Earth? ;-)

(Actually... it makes for some interesting flying. Even on a computer
screen, the simulated mountains seem insanely big. IIRC, Google's images
are from summer though, so not much snow where I was.)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

>> It just puzzles me that what I wrote was apparently fairly lame, as
>> far as I can tell, and yet several people seemed to really like it.
>
> You don't know your own strength. That's what we're telling you.

Heh. OK. It would just be nice to know what I'm actually getting right.
(And what I'm getting not-so-right.)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

> Heh. OK. It would just be nice to know what I'm actually getting right.
> (And what I'm getting not-so-right.)

Your writing is clear, well organized, evocative, and literate. You also
pick subjects interesting to your readers.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

>> Heh. OK. It would just be nice to know what I'm actually getting
>> right. (And what I'm getting not-so-right.)
>
> Your writing is clear, well organized, evocative, and literate.

Mmm, really?

(Just the other day Benny was telling me I need to broaden my vocabulary...)

> You also pick subjects interesting to your readers.

Heh. Except when I write about Haskell. :-P

(It's so popular that they created two special newsgrounds so I could go
talking about Haskell to myself.)

Oh, and messages about my life. (I get yelled at to blog so nobody else
has to read through it...)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

On Mon, 30 Mar 2009 20:20:49 +0100, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

>>> It just puzzles me that what I wrote was apparently fairly lame, as
>>> far as I can tell, and yet several people seemed to really like it.
>>
>> What Darren said.  It's an exceptionally good piece of writing.  Does a
>> very good job of helping the reader visualize where you were.
>
> Heh. Can you find me on Google Earth? ;-)

Probably not, but that's not really the point.  Many people struggle at
descriptive text, but for you it seems to flow naturally. :-)

> (Actually... it makes for some interesting flying. Even on a computer
> screen, the simulated mountains seem insanely big. IIRC, Google's images
> are from summer though, so not much snow where I was.)

Yeah, I get that when I'm flying in x-plane as well.  But the mountains
here near where I live (2-5 miles away) are recognisable, too.

Jim