POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : rrrggh..damned plebes... Server Time
6 Sep 2024 11:19:51 EDT (-0400)
  rrrggh..damned plebes... (Message 41 to 50 of 59)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 9 Messages >>>
From: Warp
Subject: Re: rrrggh..damned plebes...
Date: 19 Mar 2009 17:42:21
Message: <49c2bc3d@news.povray.org>

> >> Nope.  I live in Utah.  I suppose they're online.
> >
> >   I bet that most people who assume that this case must be illegal don't
> > know either. They just assume.

> Ignorance is no excuse for breaking the law, though, and it's far, far
> better to err on the side of caution with something like this

  Hmm, exactly how is it illegal to make an assumption about the legality
of someone's action in a certain country/state?

  Ok, maybe if a lawyer did that and he is mistaken, he could get sued for
malpractice or something.

>, lest you
> end up in jail for statutory rape with a bunch of people who REALLY don't
> like rapists.  From what I hear, people convicted of that - especially
> when minors are involved - tend not to do very well in the general prison
> population.

  And if you really are innocent and convicted wrongly, tough luck.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 17:42:21 -0400, Warp wrote:

>> Ignorance is no excuse for breaking the law, though, and it's far, far
>> better to err on the side of caution with something like this
>
>   Hmm, exactly how is it illegal to make an assumption about the
>   legality
> of someone's action in a certain country/state?

It's not illegal to make the assumption.  But if you make the assumption
it's "safe" and it's illegal, you aren't going to catch a break - because
ignorance of the law is no excuse for breaking it.

>   Ok, maybe if a lawyer did that and he is mistaken, he could get sued
>   for
> malpractice or something.

We're talking about two different things, I think.

>>, lest you
>> end up in jail for statutory rape with a bunch of people who REALLY
>> don't like rapists.  From what I hear, people convicted of that -
>> especially when minors are involved - tend not to do very well in the
>> general prison population.
>
>   And if you really are innocent and convicted wrongly, tough luck.

Welcome to the justice system in the USA....

Jim

Post a reply to this message

>>   And if you really are innocent and convicted wrongly, tough luck.
> Welcome to the justice system in the USA....

Isn't think kind of true everywhere? :-) Aren't you pretty screwed if you're
wrongly convicted regardless of where you live?

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 16:41:12 -0700, Darren New wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>>>   And if you really are innocent and convicted wrongly, tough luck.
>> Welcome to the justice system in the USA....
>
> Isn't think kind of true everywhere? :-) Aren't you pretty screwed if
> you're wrongly convicted regardless of where you live?

Well, yeah, I suppose so.  I only have direct experience in dealing with
the justice system in the US, though.  I don't know what kind of appeals
process there is in Finland, or Australia, or even in the UK.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

> Well, yeah, I suppose so.  I only have direct experience in dealing with
> the justice system in the US, though.  I don't know what kind of appeals
> process there is in Finland, or Australia, or even in the UK.

I'll grant you that in the US, sex with kids is high on the list of "easy to
get screwed by the justice system."  Much easier than, say, car theft. :-)

On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 17:29:26 -0700, Darren New wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> Well, yeah, I suppose so.  I only have direct experience in dealing
>> with the justice system in the US, though.  I don't know what kind of
>> appeals process there is in Finland, or Australia, or even in the UK.
>
> I'll grant you that in the US, sex with kids is high on the list of
> "easy to get screwed by the justice system."  Much easier than, say, car
> theft. :-)

Yep, that certainly is true.  And then when the perps end up in prison,
their trouble REALLY starts.  As I mentioned before, sex offenders
generally do not fare well in prison.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

> On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 17:42:21 -0400, Warp wrote:

> >> Ignorance is no excuse for breaking the law, though, and it's far, far
> >> better to err on the side of caution with something like this
> >
> >   Hmm, exactly how is it illegal to make an assumption about the
> >   legality
> > of someone's action in a certain country/state?

> It's not illegal to make the assumption.  But if you make the assumption
> it's "safe" and it's illegal, you aren't going to catch a break - because
> ignorance of the law is no excuse for breaking it.

  It was a rethorical question. I just wanted to point out that I said
nothing about whether it's a good idea to do it or not. My original point
was that people seem to always assume it's illegal without actually knowing
the actual laws of the place.

> >   Ok, maybe if a lawyer did that and he is mistaken, he could get sued
> >   for
> > malpractice or something.

> We're talking about two different things, I think.

  I was just being sarcastic. I apologize.

> >>, lest you
> >> end up in jail for statutory rape with a bunch of people who REALLY
> >> don't like rapists.  From what I hear, people convicted of that -
> >> especially when minors are involved - tend not to do very well in the
> >> general prison population.
> >
> >   And if you really are innocent and convicted wrongly, tough luck.

> Welcome to the justice system in the USA....

  I don't believe being beaten up in prison is part of the justice system.
Not the legal one, at least.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

> >>   And if you really are innocent and convicted wrongly, tough luck.
> > Welcome to the justice system in the USA....

> Isn't think kind of true everywhere? :-) Aren't you pretty screwed if you're
> wrongly convicted regardless of where you live?

  I was not referring to being wrongly convicted, but to being beaten in
prison because you made the "wrong" crime.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message