POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Fake Pixar animations Server Time
6 Sep 2024 05:13:25 EDT (-0400)
  Fake Pixar animations (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Warp
Subject: Fake Pixar animations
Date: 7 Mar 2009 18:56:54
Message: <49b309c6@news.povray.org>
I just noticed an odd trend:

  Make a youtube (or google videos) search for "pixar". Half the results
will be computer animations which are cearly *not* made by Pixar nor in
any way related to them. (They don't have the Pixar logo, they are not
mentioned anywhere in the Pixar filmography, and their quality is crappy
compared to the average Pixar animation quality.)

  Most egregiously, Pixar does only 100% CGI animations (Wall-E being
the first exception, and even in there the amount of live footage was
really small), yet there are many sequences out there of live action
movies with CGI effects which are claimed to be made by Pixar. For an
example, make a google search for "kung pow pixar".

  (Ok, Pixar has done some live action + CGI shorts for commercials,
but those are also clearly listed in their filmography.)

  I can think of two reasons why someone would use the name "pixar" in
conjunction with such a CGI animation:

1) They are faking the origins of the animation in order to get more views
   and more popularity.

2) Like the word "photoshop" in the world of image editing, the word "pixar"
   has somehow got the general meaning of "computer graphics animation" for
   some people, who erroneously use it as a synonym for it.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

Was going to initially repond that is probably the first case you give but
after actually searching for "pixar" on youtube it appears to be the latter.
I found one person uploaded Victor Navone's Dancing Alien and called it
"Pixar- i will survive". Although he was eventually hired by Pixar he did
that as an amateur using Animation Master. Then there is one called "Pixar
Ice Egg" which appears to be a take on the Ice Age character Scrat, which is
Blue Sky, not Pixar!

On one hand they appear to be using Pixar's name to garner views, but on the
other hand many of these videos are not being uploaded by the original
artists.

>  I just noticed an odd trend:
>
>  Make a youtube (or google videos) search for "pixar". Half the results
> will be computer animations which are cearly *not* made by Pixar nor in
> any way related to them. (They don't have the Pixar logo, they are not
> mentioned anywhere in the Pixar filmography, and their quality is crappy
> compared to the average Pixar animation quality.)
>
>  Most egregiously, Pixar does only 100% CGI animations (Wall-E being
> the first exception, and even in there the amount of live footage was
> really small), yet there are many sequences out there of live action
> movies with CGI effects which are claimed to be made by Pixar. For an
> example, make a google search for "kung pow pixar".
>
>  (Ok, Pixar has done some live action + CGI shorts for commercials,
> but those are also clearly listed in their filmography.)
>
>  I can think of two reasons why someone would use the name "pixar" in
> conjunction with such a CGI animation:
>
> 1) They are faking the origins of the animation in order to get more views
>   and more popularity.
>
> 2) Like the word "photoshop" in the world of image editing, the word
> "pixar"
>   has somehow got the general meaning of "computer graphics animation" for
>   some people, who erroneously use it as a synonym for it.
>
> --
>                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message