POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Standard libraries Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:21:58 EDT (-0400)
  Standard libraries (Message 1 to 10 of 108)
From: Invisible
Subject: Standard libraries
Date: 4 Mar 2009 09:38:08
Message: <49ae9250$1@news.povray.org>
Haskell's array libraries... are a mess. Specifically, there is now
about half a dozen of them.

When I suggested that we should sort this stuff out and make one
consistent library for handling arrays, the general reaction was "no,
we're not going to do that. This is open-source. Competition is good.
We're building a bazaar, not a cathederal."

Um, WTF? I just want to write a program that involves arrays. I
shouldn't have to spent a week examining a dozen libraries that all
provide similar-yet-slightly-different implementations of the same
thing. Not if you want people to take Haskell seriously, at any rate...

I presume the remark is referring to the "cathederal and the bazaar"
that is sometimes referenced in connection with OSS. Does anybody know
what it says? (Presumably it claims that proprietry software is like a
cathederal and OSS is like a bazaar or something...)

Post a reply to this message

> I presume the remark is referring to the "cathederal and the bazaar"
> that is sometimes referenced in connection with OSS. Does anybody know
> what it says? (Presumably it claims that proprietry software is like a
> cathederal and OSS is like a bazaar or something...)

My most profound apologies, but

http://tinyurl.com/d6sjjd

 - Ricky

Post a reply to this message