POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Standard libraries : Re: Standard libraries Server Time
6 Sep 2024 03:16:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Standard libraries
From: Invisible
Date: 5 Mar 2009 04:30:18
Message: <49af9baa$1@news.povray.org>
>> Haskell's array libraries... are a mess. Specifically, there is now
>> about half a dozen of them.
>
> Not so different with C and all its derivatives (C++, C++ STL, C++
> .net), there are many different array handling "libraries", fun if you
> work with code that uses all sorts of different approaches :-)

Yeah. It's a hoot. You use one library that uses array-X, and another
library that uses array-Y, and now your program must waste time
converting from one to the other. Great fun. :-/

It wouldn't be so bad if we were talking about complete libraries that
differ stylistically or something. But we're not. We're talking about
several libraries, each of which only covers about 20% of what you might
like to do. But each library covers a different 20%. Which means you're
virtually *forced* to use several of them at once... *sigh*

Apparently everybody else thinks this is "perfectly OK".