POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Warning: Microsoft silently installing firefox extension Server Time
6 Sep 2024 15:19:05 EDT (-0400)
  Warning: Microsoft silently installing firefox extension (Message 51 to 60 of 63)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 3 Messages >>>
From: scott
Subject: Re: Warning: Microsoft silently installing firefox extension
Date: 12 Mar 2009 08:29:44
Message: <49b90038@news.povray.org>
>> > The majority of us (those who use FF for this reason)
>> > *DO NOT WANT* any Microsoft internet-related code running in FF, it's
>> > that
>> > simple.
>
>> That will be a bit tricky seeing as you have FF running on an OS written
>> by
>> MS, if you really do not want any MS code running then use a different OS
>> for web browsing, it's the only way to be sure.
>
>  So basically you are saying: If you use Windows, don't bother even trying
> to browse securely.

If you really don't consider the MS code that FF uses (eg to draw JPEGs,
create the windows, interact with the network etc) to be secure, then no,
don't even bother, get another OS that you think is more secure.

>  That's the kind of TheDailyWTF style mentality, in the same lines as
> "we don't have any passwords in your database server because, after all,
> it's impossible to secure it from all possible hacker attacks".

Exactly, which is why most people (myself included) are happy with the
compromise of using FF on an MS OS, of course there are still likely to be
security holes, but it's worth the risk if you need the MS OS for other
reasons and aren't uber paranoid about security.

Post a reply to this message