POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Gah! Thank god I use RAID 1.. Server Time
6 Sep 2024 11:19:15 EDT (-0400)
  Gah! Thank god I use RAID 1.. (Message 1 to 10 of 37)
From: [GDS|Entropy]
Subject: Gah! Thank god I use RAID 1..
Date: 1 Mar 2009 20:25:46
Message: <49ab359a$1@news.povray.org>
So there I am, building a moss macro whilst my snow macro scene is rendering
a demonstration of ice coating, and all of a sudden my computer reboots. I'm
think: "ok, that was annoying"...and then the intel storage matrix ROM comes
up, telling me that the drive on port 1 has failed and its rebuilding the
volume. Wonderful.

So now I have to get a new 250gb HDD.

I have another open HDD bay, can I add another SATA HDD to the RAID1 matrix,
or do I need two more?

This crap is why my computer is RAID1, which is backed up on an external
HDD, which itsself is backed up on yet another external HDD.
It seems HDDs like to fail after about 2yrs of 12+hr a day use. Boooo!

What happened to those cool datacrystals they invented in the late 80's?
They were featured on a show called Beyond 2000, and shortly thereafter all
information about them vanished. Now most references to them you find via
google arfe other people asking this same question. Maybe the gov't snatched
them up?

ian

Post a reply to this message

> What happened to those cool datacrystals they invented in the late 80's?

I remember those. A terabyte in a cubic cm, with 3D lasers changing the
color of the dye.  It was a military project, so maybe it's powering skynet now.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)