POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Debian Server Time
6 Sep 2024 07:16:37 EDT (-0400)
  Debian (Message 51 to 60 of 60)
From: Warp
Subject: Re: Debian
Date: 5 Mar 2009 14:24:18
Message: <49b026e2@news.povray.org>
> Simply not true.  Even in college back in the early 90's, most of the
> software that was installed on our Sun systems was precompiled binaries,
> not built from source.

  Especially true since Unix and Unix software started as proprietary,
closed-source commercial systems. The open source mentality didn't prevail
until well into the 90's.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 5 Mar 2009 16:18:30
Message: <49b041a6@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 05 Mar 2009 14:24:18 -0500, Warp wrote:

>> Simply not true.  Even in college back in the early 90's, most of the
>> software that was installed on our Sun systems was precompiled
>> binaries, not built from source.
>
>   Especially true since Unix and Unix software started as proprietary,
> closed-source commercial systems. The open source mentality didn't
> prevail until well into the 90's.

Yes, generally right after the BSD court cases completed IIRC.

Jim

Post a reply to this message