POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Debian : Re: Debian Server Time
6 Sep 2024 09:18:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Debian
From: Darren New
Date: 5 Mar 2009 18:31:19
Message: <49b060c7$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   It's Windows in name only. It probably doesn't share any code (at least
> at kernel level) with the regular Windows.

It supports many of the same APIs, tho. Basically, your knowlege of how
things work is supposed to be portable. The actual code itself? Probably
much less so.

>   This is in contrast with eg. the Linux or NetBSD kernels, which are
> designed to be compiled as-is to different architectures (including
> many embedded ones).

Yeah. I wonder if Vista et al is as portable as NT used to be, like whether
they managed/bothered to maintain that for the most part or not.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)