POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Woo, Open Source! Server Time
6 Sep 2024 05:14:49 EDT (-0400)
  Woo, Open Source! (Message 1 to 10 of 14)
From: Invisible
Subject: Woo, Open Source!
Date: 2 Mar 2009 07:34:40
Message: <49abd260$1@news.povray.org>
I found a minor glitch. I reported it on the bug tracker. It got
partially fixed. But then it sat there waiting.

I downloaded the source code. I compiled it. I modified it. I checked
it. I created a patch, and I submitted it. And, on Thursday, my patch
was committed to both the STABLE and HEAD branches.

Woo, me! :-D

Now I can write on my CV that I have "contributed to an open source
project".

Uh... OK, I admit it. It was a documentation glitch. I wrote a few
paragraphs of documentation. I never actually touched any source code.
(Although I _did_ read through it to find the information required to
write the documentation.)

And, immediately after Igloo committed my patch, he committed a second
patch that further modifies my text. (In particular, the undocumented
feature I just documented has been changed slightly in HEAD - which I
didn't notice until *after* I submitted the damn patch!)

So... yeah, not actually as impressive as it sounds at first, eh? :-/

Post a reply to this message

> So... yeah, not actually as impressive as it sounds at first, eh? :-/

Are you KIDDING me?  You just did something that 99% of open source
programmers are totally and completely incapable of doing!

Great job!

--
...Chambers
www.pacificwebguy.com