POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : More VM fun Server Time
6 Sep 2024 07:15:55 EDT (-0400)
  More VM fun (Message 1 to 10 of 16)
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: More VM fun
Date: 14 Feb 2009 06:31:41
Message: <4996ab9d$1@news.povray.org>
OK, so I need to do some stuff that will only work on Linux.

What I *could* do is set up a Linux system under QEMU, but that's quite
slow. So I thought I'd go with VirtualBox instead.

Nuhuh. Apparently VirtualBox is "free" so long as you only use it for a
week or two. You can also obtain a copy licenced under the GPL, but then
you have to compile it from source yourself. (Which, obviously, is
impossible.)

OK then. So how about VMserver then?

Nuhuh. They're demanding a real email address before they will let me
download the product, and it looks like they're going to demand that I
"activate" it after it's installed.

So can anybody suggest a virtual machine implementation that really *is*
free? (And works hosted on Windows.)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

On Sat, 14 Feb 2009 12:31:41 +0100, Orchid XP v8 <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:

> Nuhuh. Apparently VirtualBox is "free" so long as you only use it for a
> week or two.

There is no such limitation if you stick to "Personal use" as defined in

> You can also obtain a copy licenced under the GPL, but then you have to
> compile it from source yourself. (Which, obviously, is impossible.)

Why would that be impossible?

--
FE

Post a reply to this message

>> Nuhuh. Apparently VirtualBox is "free" so long as you only use it for
>> a week or two.
>
> There is no such limitation if you stick to "Personal use" as defined in

Damn legalese doesn't make this very clear.

>> You can also obtain a copy licenced under the GPL, but then you have
>> to compile it from source yourself. (Which, obviously, is impossible.)
>
> Why would that be impossible?

OK, I rephrase: It's infeasible on Windows. You could probably do it on
Linux, given sufficient time and energy.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

> So can anybody suggest a virtual machine implementation that really *is*
> free? (And works hosted on Windows.)

Microsoft VirtualPC. Works fine as long as you run 32-bit OSes under it. You
*do* need to "install" it, tho.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Ouch ouch ouch!"