POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : More VM fun : Re: More VM fun Server Time
6 Sep 2024 05:17:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More VM fun
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 14 Feb 2009 14:27:09
Message: <49971b0d$1@news.povray.org>
>> Nuhuh. Apparently VirtualBox is "free" so long as you only use it for a
>> week or two. You can also obtain a copy licenced under the GPL, but then
>> you have to compile it from source yourself. (Which, obviously, is
>> impossible.)
>
> I know many people who have run VirtualBox from downloaded binaries and
> it hasn't been "time bombed".  There is a pay-for version, but there's
> also a free version.
>
> In fact, just looking here now, Virutalbox-OSE is the name of the package
> on OpenSUSE 11.0.  OSE = Open Source Edition.

 From the VirtualBox website, the OSE is available as source only. You
have to build it yourself. (Suffice it to say my Windows box doesn't
have automake, autoconf, Perl, Python, sed, grep, gcc, ld, tar, or any
of the other things that 99% of all programs require in order to build.)

There's a binary package, but it has a different license.

>> OK then. So how about VMserver then?
>>
>> Nuhuh. They're demanding a real email address before they will let me
>> download the product, and it looks like they're going to demand that I
>> "activate" it after it's installed.
>
> VMware Server does require a "real" e-mail address, but the system will
> accept mailinator.com e-mail addresses if you don't want to provide a
> real address.
>
> And it doesn't require activation, you just need a license key.  I have
> it installed on a system.

Hmm. Interesting.

> I would go with VMware Server for cross-platform support.

In the end, I got to fed up I used my laptop instead. ;-) My bedroom is
currently a tangle of Ethernet cables...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/