POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : C# 4.0 Default parameters Server Time
6 Sep 2024 09:18:55 EDT (-0400)
  C# 4.0 Default parameters (Message 1 to 10 of 56)
From: Mike Raiford
Subject: C# 4.0 Default parameters
Date: 4 Feb 2009 08:36:55
Message: <498999f7$1@news.povray.org>
http://tinyurl.com/bt268c

Let me just say: About time! I get tired of writing a bunch of overloads
to make parameters look like they're optional!

--
~Mike

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Subject: Re: C# 4.0 Default parameters
Date: 4 Feb 2009 10:51:59
Message: <4989b99f$1@news.povray.org>
Mike Raiford wrote:
> http://tinyurl.com/bt268c
>
> Let me just say: About time! I get tired of writing a bunch of overloads
> to make parameters look like they're optional!

There are some who make good arguments against default parameters.
Basically, if it's a default parameter, it should be a separate method call
to set the value, because that's more OO.  E.g., if you have a default
parameter for printing that says whether it should be landscape or portrait,
that should be a value in the print-job instance, not a parameter specified
on every call.

Sadly, C# syntax is starting to get really ugly. :-) I expect the
overloading rules will soon almost be as bad as C++.

 > list.SearchForContacts(address="home", name="sam", age:30);

Heh. My first thought on seeing the syntax was "I bet I'd always be messing
that up and using = instead of :".

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Ouch ouch ouch!"

Post a reply to this message

> There are some who make good arguments against default parameters.
> Basically, if it's a default parameter, it should be a separate method
> call to set the value, because that's more OO.  E.g., if you have a
> default parameter for printing that says whether it should be landscape
> or portrait, that should be a value in the print-job instance, not a
> parameter specified on every call.

What *you* need is curried functions! ;-)

> Sadly, C# syntax is starting to get really ugly. :-) I expect the
> overloading rules will soon almost be as bad as C++.

Well... it was based on C to start with, so it's never going to be
exactly "pretty", is it?

Post a reply to this message

>> There are some who make good arguments against default parameters.
>> Basically, if it's a default parameter, it should be a separate method
>> call to set the value, because that's more OO.  E.g., if you have a
>> default parameter for printing that says whether it should be
>> landscape or portrait, that should be a value in the print-job
>> instance, not a parameter specified on every call.
>
> What *you* need is curried functions! ;-)

Explain curried functions, please.

>> Sadly, C# syntax is starting to get really ugly. :-) I expect the
>> overloading rules will soon almost be as bad as C++.
>
> Well... it was based on C to start with, so it's never going to be
> exactly "pretty", is it?

At least in C# you can't do function pointers.

--
~Mike

Post a reply to this message

>> Let me just say: About time! I get tired of writing a bunch of
>> overloads to make parameters look like they're optional!
>
> There are some who make good arguments against default parameters.
> Basically, if it's a default parameter, it should be a separate method
> call to set the value, because that's more OO.  E.g., if you have a
> default parameter for printing that says whether it should be landscape
> or portrait, that should be a value in the print-job instance, not a
> parameter specified on every call.

That is how C# is now. Sometimes it would be nice just to have one
function with defaults, rather than 3 overloads of the same function
that simply delegate back to the "full featured" function.

> Sadly, C# syntax is starting to get really ugly. :-) I expect the
> overloading rules will soon almost be as bad as C++.

Yep. Default parameters are a C thing.. :D Maybe that's why I like them...

>  > list.SearchForContacts(address="home", name="sam", age:30);
>
> Heh. My first thought on seeing the syntax was "I bet I'd always be
> messing that up and using = instead of :".

I've never been very fond of the named arguments syntax. I'm sure some
people love it. BTW, why are strings passed with "=" and numbers passed
with ":"?

--
~Mike

Post a reply to this message