POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : C# 4.0 Default parameters : Re: C# 4.0 Default parameters Server Time
6 Sep 2024 07:18:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: C# 4.0 Default parameters
From: Darren New
Date: 4 Feb 2009 10:51:59
Message: <4989b99f$1@news.povray.org>
Mike Raiford wrote:
> http://tinyurl.com/bt268c
>
> Let me just say: About time! I get tired of writing a bunch of overloads
> to make parameters look like they're optional!

There are some who make good arguments against default parameters.
Basically, if it's a default parameter, it should be a separate method call
to set the value, because that's more OO.  E.g., if you have a default
parameter for printing that says whether it should be landscape or portrait,
that should be a value in the print-job instance, not a parameter specified
on every call.

Sadly, C# syntax is starting to get really ugly. :-) I expect the
overloading rules will soon almost be as bad as C++.

 > list.SearchForContacts(address="home", name="sam", age:30);

Heh. My first thought on seeing the syntax was "I bet I'd always be messing
that up and using = instead of :".

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Ouch ouch ouch!"