POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : White is in the winter Server Time
6 Sep 2024 11:20:06 EDT (-0400)
  White is in the winter (Message 11 to 20 of 73)
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: White is in the winter
Date: 2 Feb 2009 06:22:07
Message: <4986d75f$1@news.povray.org>
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/advice/snow.html

"If braking is necessary, pump the brakes don't slam them on."

...unless you have friggin ABS! :-P

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 2 Feb 2009 07:03:55
Message: <4986e12b@news.povray.org>
> "If braking is necessary, pump the brakes don't slam them on."
>
> ...unless you have friggin ABS! :-P

BTW ABS doesn't work below about 5 or 10 mph...

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 2 Feb 2009 07:27:36
Message: <4986e6b8@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> "If braking is necessary, pump the brakes don't slam them on."
>>
>> ...unless you have friggin ABS! :-P
>
> BTW ABS doesn't work below about 5 or 10 mph...

Really?

Any specific reason?

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 2 Feb 2009 08:13:29
Message: <4986f179$1@news.povray.org>
>> BTW ABS doesn't work below about 5 or 10 mph...
>
> Really?
>
> Any specific reason?

I imagine it's because if the ABS system sees all four wheels go from 5mph
to 0mph it can't tell whether you've actually come to a stop or you are
skidding on ice.  At 50mph it's obvious if the wheels all stop within a
fraction of a second you are skidding, at low speeds it's not so easy to
work out.

Post a reply to this message

>>> BTW ABS doesn't work below about 5 or 10 mph...
>>
>> Really?
>>
>> Any specific reason?
>
> I imagine it's because if the ABS system sees all four wheels go from
> 5mph to 0mph it can't tell whether you've actually come to a stop or you
> are skidding on ice.  At 50mph it's obvious if the wheels all stop
> within a fraction of a second you are skidding, at low speeds it's not
> so easy to work out.

Mmm, OK.

I must admit, I've always wondered how the hell ABS actually works.

But not as much as power steering. This, as far as I can tell, should be
logically impossible. And yet it apparently works. How baffling!

Post a reply to this message