POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : White is in the winter : Re: White is in the winter Server Time
6 Sep 2024 13:18:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: White is in the winter
From: Invisible
Date: 2 Feb 2009 08:35:19
Message: <4986f697@news.povray.org>
John VanSickle wrote:
> There are large numbers of people who have difficulty driving in
> anything more slippery than rain.  This is most likely in areas which
> are known for the mildness of their winters.

I did notice that in the videos of people pushing cars, all the cars
seemed to be attempting to drive uphill at no more than walking pace -
shorly not a sensible thing to do in snow?

> Add to this the general temperament of the government to view itself as
> some kind of mother to the people, and you get urgent warnings telling
> people to regard as wild uncontrollable dangers things that in fact
> present a small and manageable risk.

Yeah, maybe. I guess the government doesn't want to hear the whole "why
didn't you warn people?" thing, or "why didn't you take action?". (OTOH,
it didn't seem to be a problem for New Orleans...)

> I grew up in Michigan, and can tell you that even as experienced with
> the snow as they are there, the first significant snowfall of the winter
> is a refresher course in winter driving for just about everybody.

I can remember 1995 or so, there was a lot of snow one day. About 20 cm
or so. Not huge, but a lot. Nobody seemed to really pay much attention.
A few people got slightly stuck or something, but nobody considered it a
big deal. Yet today, it's a catastrophy... hmm.