POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : System Restore problem - XP Server Time
6 Sep 2024 09:14:54 EDT (-0400)
  System Restore problem - XP (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Jim Holsenback
Subject: System Restore problem - XP
Date: 31 Jan 2009 11:39:54
Message: <49847eda@news.povray.org>
Hola,

I had a disaster earlier this week that rendered current running XP drive
non bootable. Well it would boot, but never gave me control of the desktop.

I used a spare drive to get system booted. I mounted the bad drive as slave
and recovered users data. I then used a Western Digital tool to reblast the
corrupted drive and copy the running drive into the reformatted drive that
had the problem.

Well I'm up and running with one problem (so far) ..... System Restore
Service won't start and gave this error.

Could not start .... Error 3: The system could not find the specified path.
This is a bit more information than I got when I tried to get to system
restore through My Computer/System Restore.

I DO see looking at the root of the volume a hidden dir System Volume
Information in that dir a couple of files and another hidden dir
(_restore{stuff}), so I don't understand. At this point be willing to loose
my  restore points in favor of getting the service running again. My
question is. If I go into safe mode and rename System Volume Information
then reboot would that dir get recreated? I've had recyle bin problem and
just deleted recycler and it recreated it when I rebooted. Any insight would
be helpful.

Jim

Post a reply to this message