POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Ok, who didn't know, or at least guess this? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:20:06 EDT (-0400)
  Ok, who didn't know, or at least guess this? (Message 41 to 50 of 218)
From: Mueen Nawaz
Subject: Re: Ok, who didn't know, or at least guess this?
Date: 27 Jan 2009 15:25:37
Message: <497f6dc1$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> nemesis <nam### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>> Warp escreveu:
>>> 2) Why does Microsoft care about Linux, with its... what? Less than 1% market
>>> share?
>
>> I think they are more worried about enterprise Linux server installs,
>> which go beyond that puny 1% mark.
>
>   Even if 10% of companies used Linux in their servers, how much does
> that mean in the total revenue of Microsoft?
>
>   I would wildly guess that at least 99% of Windows sales revenues come
> from individuals, the remaining 1% from other companies. If FUD'ing the
> one tenth of companies not using Windows in their servers to switch to
> Windows would succeed, how much would Microsoft's revenue increase?
> Something 0.1%? One thousandth of what they current get.

	I wouldn't be so sure about those figures. See:

http://www.ventureblogalist.com/?p=96
http://www.belshe.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/msftbreakdown.png

	I think it's mostly companies that buy servers and tools.

--
Save the whales. Collect the whole set.

                    /\  /\               /\  /
                   /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z
                                   anl

Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Raiford
Date: 27 Jan 2009 15:26:11
Message: <497f6de3$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 17:12:33 -0200, nemesis wrote:
>
>> nemesis escreveu:

>>> what?  WHAAATTT??!
>>>
>>> seriously, never heard of that before... :O
>> oh, I see, you're actually saying Adobe PWNS Autodesk, right? ;)
>
> Yeaaaah, yeah, that's what I meant. ;-)

And just when I was going to say that you REALLY drove my point home...

--
~Mike

Post a reply to this message