POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Ok, who didn't know, or at least guess this? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 15:19:09 EDT (-0400)
  Ok, who didn't know, or at least guess this? (Message 21 to 30 of 218)
From: Patrick Elliott
Subject: Re: Ok, who didn't know, or at least guess this?
Date: 27 Jan 2009 13:51:20
Message: <497f57a8$1@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:
> Warp escreveu:
>> 2) Why does Microsoft care about Linux, with its... what? Less than 1%
>> market
>> share?
>
> I think they are more worried about enterprise Linux server installs,
> which go beyond that puny 1% mark.  Even if the Linux is serving a
> primarily Windows desktop network, it doesn't bode well that such
> desktops are not trapped to proprietary Microsoft server solutions.
>
> It means suddenly Visual Studio developers may be targetting MySQL or
> PostgreSQL databases rather than SQL Server, for instance.  Heck, they
> may end up even using open-source libs rather than what's in the Windows
> API if control is too loose over them... :P

Well, the point here is, these are documents expressing worry about
Linux "somehow" causing Windows problems, 7 years ago, when, frankly, it
still was a pain in the ass to do some things. Now.. If you really want
to, you can nearly hide it under a shell that "looks and acts" like XP,
some of its desktop stuff, like compiz (assuming I spelled that right),
makes the "innovations" available in Vista look lame, and even the gap
between Windows and Linux software is "currently" only held by a few
obscure WINE bugs, which effect about the same percentage of software as
the transition from say Win 3.1 to 95 did, and the lack of Direct3D
support. Neither of those is going to stand long. And the recent
notebook fiasco has pretty much brought home for everyone that Windows
was "never" intended to run on low resources at even "close" to the same
functionality, if at all.

MS is becoming what Big Blue was in the mainframe era. Someone so
focused on their "existing" product, that they suddenly find that the
rug is being pulled out from under their feet, and worse, someone moved
anything they could grab hold of to keep from falling down. Mind, I
don't think its going to be "quite" as bad for them, since its not
changing an entire architecture, but they still have a huge problem.

BTW, here the one about how the EU may have finally gotten so annoyed at
IE being integrated in MS' machines that they may require new installs
to "include" an alternative browser "standard" in all of them? Can't
imagine that making things better for them either...

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {
       call slow_by_half();