POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Ok, who didn't know, or at least guess this? : Re: Ok, who didn't know, or at least guess this? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:21:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ok, who didn't know, or at least guess this?
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 27 Jan 2009 14:02:20
Message: <497f5a3c$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Warp wrote:
>>   Big deal? I really think MS is just being paranoid and making a lot
>> of noise over nothing.
>
> Maybe by making a lot of noise over Linux, they think they can distract
> attention from Apple and Sun? :-)
>
>>   IMO they should invest their resources on making better products
>
> The people creating the FUD about Linux aren't the people writing the MS
> software. :-)
>
>> You don't get a positive image of yourself by bashing your opponents.
>  > You do it by doing
>> a good job and offering high-quality products, and letting your products
>> speak for you.
>
> I think MS makes good products and many people bash MS, to the point
> where there are people around that are just as much anti-MS-fanboys as
> there are Apple-fanboys. It's hard to say whether simply having the best
> product is sufficient.

One of the points of this article is that these are high level MS
people, who are afraid of what Linux "could be", saying the 180 degree
opposite of everything that every FUD campaign MS ever put out, and
every MS connected internet shill still babbles, has declared are the
"weaknesses" of Linux. These people are effectively admitting that its
not just a lie, but indirectly, that they are willing to lie to you, me,
and anyone else, to get a sale.

That is what pisses me off about MS, not the "quality" of their
software, which frankly, is only higher quality because they have more
experience at integrating stuff, over decades, while burying any
competition, than some others have, and, whether you want to admit it or
not, sometimes they miss more than they hit, their entire design is so
unworkable they actually stated, "We can't fix this at all, we have to
start over if you really want all the stuff you planned!", when trying
to figure out what to do when going from XP to Vista, and things still
break for no comprehensible reason, sometimes "while" doing something as
"supposedly simple", as initially *correctly* detecting hardware, which
is not a problem Linux has at all.

No, they make decent software. So do a lot of FOSS people. But good?
Tell me that when no one has to reinstall a device driver because
Windows, in any flavor, misidentifies the damn thing, just for a start...

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {