POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : DFT and FFT Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:22:33 EDT (-0400)
  DFT and FFT (Message 1 to 10 of 55)
From: Mike Raiford
Subject: DFT and FFT
Date: 16 Jan 2009 14:51:27
Message: <4970e53f$1@news.povray.org>
So, in my quest of understanding I have decided to look closer at these
magical functions. Everyone who's ever encountered an audio player
probably knows what an FFT. Or has a vague abstract idea as to what it
can be used for. because it's usually called something like FFT. or FFT
filter. FFT spectrum. Whatever. I've seen the term floated around in
such a cavalier manner.

OK, so it's the application of the FFT. Or rather the DFT, seeing as FFT
is just an optimization of the DFT.

I have a very good handle now on what DFT actually does, and it's a
pretty nifty transform. What I can't seem to wrap my head around is FFT.
  But I think I'm getting there. I know it does a bizarre sort at the
beginning, essentially ordering the data as if the indexes had their
bits reversed, which allows the next step to happen. The values are then
recombined, reversing the previous sorting process in such a way as to
reveal the sine and cosine components of the source signal.

That part is really toasting my brain. I /almost/ understand the theory
behind it, but there's some part that's blocking me. The amazing part is
that it takes two nested loops of, say 256 values, and makes it
essentially a 2-deep nesting of around 8 values with a rather small
inner loop.

And its entirely reversible. (!)

The cool thing is you can take frequency domain set, multiply it by
another frequency domain set, invert the DFT, and boom, you just
filtered your data. No messy convolution.

As an example, you can achieve a blur effect on an image by using
multiply operations on the image's frequency domain data. rather than
create a convolution matrix to do the same thing.

I'm not 100 % on the theory of noise reduction, but my basic
understanding is it basically analyzes a constant signal area of the
image in the frequency domain, then subtracts that spectrum from the
noisy signal, thereby cleaning the image, and only minimally harming the
actual image. Thats my guess, at least. I know most of the popular NR
algorithms out there work in the frequency domain...

Anyway, I'm rambling :)

--
~Mike

Post a reply to this message

> What I can't seem to wrap my head around is FFT.
> But I think I'm getting there. I know it does a bizarre sort at the
> beginning, essentially ordering the data as if the indexes had their
> bits reversed, which allows the next step to happen. The values are then
> recombined, reversing the previous sorting process in such a way as to
> reveal the sine and cosine components of the source signal.

Yikes.  Never had to worry about those details.  I'm usually content enough just
to know that FFTW works!  That said, I'm remembering something about a recursive
factorization for the DFT matrix.  Is that the basis for the FFT, or are the
practical algorithms much more complicated than that?

Anyway, here's someone describing some of the details:
http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Mathematics/18-06Spring-2005/VideoLectures/detail/lecture26.htm

And here's a book with some details:
http://books.google.com/books?id=coq49_LRURUC&pg=PA391&lpg=PA391

> And its entirely reversible. (!)

That's really just a property of the Fourier transform itself, isn't it?  At
least to a constant.

> The cool thing is you can take frequency domain set, multiply it by
> another frequency domain set, invert the DFT, and boom, you just
> filtered your data. No messy convolution.

Yes, very convenient.  O(n^2) to O(n log n).  Much less messy, too.

> I'm not 100 % on the theory of noise reduction...

Don't wavelets come into play here?  Fourier transforms aren't local, so doesn't
that amount to a low-pass filter?  I guess you could just break it up like jpeg,
but then you may as well move on to wavelets.  I never really had a reason to
dig into all the details, but I think it might be a worthwhile endeavor.

> Anyway, I'm rambling :)

An enjoyable ramble.

 - Ricky

Post a reply to this message