POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : DFT and FFT : Re: DFT and FFT Server Time
6 Sep 2024 09:17:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: DFT and FFT
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 17 Jan 2009 14:51:20
Message: <497236b8$1@news.povray.org>
>> Meh. I wanted to build a digital filter, so I read a rather excellent
>> book on the subject. ;-)
>
> But, you see ... you have an interest in such things.

I read Wikipedia - and discovered that it is *completely useless* for
learning this kind of thing! But then I found a book online, and read
that. ;-)

>> Wanna see the Z-transform?
>
> Z transform?

Weeell... The Fourier transform comes in several different "flavours",
but essentially you have

- The continuous Fourier transform takes a formula and turns it into a
different formula.
- The discrete Fourier transform takes some numbers and turns them into
some other numbers.

There is a generalisation of the [continuous] Fourier transform called
the Laplace transform. The correspondin discrete version is called the
Z-transform.

The Laplace transform is the trippy mumma you use for designing Infinite
Inpulse Response filters.

See, Finite Impulse Response (FIR) filters are very easy to design, and
very flexible, but they take quite a bit of compute power. If you want
precise filtering (e.g., for scientific purposes) then you're going to
use FIR.

On the other hand, Infinite Impulse Response filters use feedback to
generate an impulse response which is effectively "infinitely long". The
downside is that only certain impulse responses can be created by
feedback. Oh, and that controlling feedback is damned tricky.

Enter the Laplace transform. This makes it relatively easy to figure out
how much feedback to apply.

It just so happens that the impulse response of a perfect lowpass filter
"nearly" matches the kinds of impulse responses that an IIR can produce.
The net result of this is that with only a tiny amount of calculation,
you can get pretty good results.

In other words, IIR is massively, massively faster than FIR. (It's also
far less precise, nowhere near as flexible, and way harder to design.)

While we're on the subject, the Laplace transform turns differential
equations into algebraic equations, making them drastically easier to
solve. As I understand it, that's why mathematicians came up with it in
the first place.

Jesus Christ, SOMEBODY HIRE ME!! >_<

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/