POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Outgunned Server Time
6 Sep 2024 21:23:54 EDT (-0400)
  Outgunned (Message 62 to 71 of 111)
From: St
Subject: Re: Outgunned
Date: 23 Jan 2009 07:08:26
Message: <4979b33a@news.povray.org>
news:4979af16@news.povray.org...
> Hey, didn't Rune or somebody recently do a swish website redesign? Can
> anybody remember the site address?

    http://runevision.com/

     ~Steve~

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 23 Jan 2009 09:17:26
Message: <4979d176$1@news.povray.org>
> I'm still puzzled by Benny boasting about having a German girlfriend even
> though he didn't speak German yet... How the hell does *that* work?? o_O

In Germany everyone learns English at school, and a lot more than any
foreign language you learn in an English school.  My girlfriend (who is
German) speaks English better than me, we had a 16 year old student in our
office last year, she spoke English pretty well.

> Well, it *did* seem to have some pretty extensive texturing facilities...
> I spent most of the time playing with that. However, as far as shapes go,
> it seemed to only handle polygon meshes.

Ummm yeh, it's a mesh based modeller, what do you expect?  Those spheres and
cylinders you rendered were actually made up of triangles (you can control
the number of triangles in some property box somewhere, and it can be
different for real-time editing and rendering).

> Our library tends to be very sparse on computer books.

Go to a bigger one then.

> (Every day I see manufactured objects of such complexity that it seem
> completely clear that whoever designed them must be using something a tad
> more sophisticated than any of the software I've seen so far.)

Just watch a bit of this to see how Catia works with making basic parts:

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb2A9OKCAUc

They design whole planes and cars with this software so it has to be quite
sophisticated.

Post a reply to this message

>> I'm still puzzled by Benny boasting about having a German girlfriend
>> even though he didn't speak German yet... How the hell does *that*
>> work?? o_O
>
> In Germany everyone learns English at school.

Hmm. I guess Benny left that part out. ;-)

>> Well, it *did* seem to have some pretty extensive texturing
>> facilities... I spent most of the time playing with that. However, as
>> far as shapes go, it seemed to only handle polygon meshes.
>
> Ummm yeh, it's a mesh based modeller, what do you expect?

OK. So... how do you build anything nontrivial with it? Just adding
endless predefined meshes together doesn't seem very flexible.

>> Our library tends to be very sparse on computer books.
>
> Go to a bigger one then.

Oh, yeah, *sure*. Because, I mean, there are libraries *everywhere*,
right? :-P

>> (Every day I see manufactured objects of such complexity that it seem
>> completely clear that whoever designed them must be using something a
>> tad more sophisticated than any of the software I've seen so far.)
>
> Just watch a bit of this to see how Catia works with making basic parts:
>
> http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb2A9OKCAUc
>
> They design whole planes and cars with this software so it has to be
> quite sophisticated.

I'll have to wait until I get home, but... this should be interesting.

Post a reply to this message